1. Suppose you are a euro-based investor who just sold Microsoft shares that you had bought six months ago. You had invested 10,000 euros to buy Microsoft shares for $120 per share; the exchange rate was $1.15 per euro. You sold the stock for $135 per share and converted the dollar proceeds into euro at the exchange rate of $1.06 per euro. First, determine the profit from this investment in euro terms. Second, compute the rate of return on your investment in euro terms. How much of the return is due to the exchange rate movement?
2. Mr. James K. Silber, an avid international investor, just sold a share of Rhone-Poulenc, a French firm, for FF50. The share was bought for FF42 a year ago. The exchange rate is FF5.80 per U.S. dollar now and was FF6.65 per dollar a year ago. Mr. Silber received FF4 as a cash dividend immediately before the share was sold. Compute the rate of return on this investment in terms of U.S. dollars.
3. In the above problem, suppose that Mr. Silber sold FF42, his principal investment amount, forward at the forward exchange rate of FF6.15 per dollar. How would this affect the dollar rate of return on this French stock investment? In hindsight, should Mr. Silber have sold the French franc amount forward or not? Why or why not?
4. Japan Life Insurance Company invested $10,000,000 in pure-discount U.S. bonds in May 1995 when the exchange rate was 80 yen per dollar. The company liquidated the investment one year later for $10,650,000. The exchange rate turned out to be 110 yen per dollar at the time of liquidation. What rate of return did Japan Life realize on this investment in yen terms?
5. At the start of 1996, the annual interest rate was 6 percent in the United States and 2.8 percent in Japan. The exchange rate was 95 yen per dollar at the time. Mr. Jorus, who is the manager of a Bermuda-based hedge fund, thought that the substantial interest advantage associated with investing in the United States relative to investing in Japan was not likely to be offset by the decline of the dollar against the yen. He thus concluded that it might be a good idea to borrow in Japan and invest in the United States. At the start of 1996, in fact, he borrowed ¥1,000 million for one year and invested in the United States. At the end of 1996, the exchange rate became 105 yen per dollar. How much profit did Mr. Jorus make in dollar terms?
6. From Exhibit 11.3 we obtain the following data in dollar terms:
1.33% per month
1.52% per month
The correlation coefficient between the two markets is 0.57. Suppose that you invest equally, i.e., 50% each, in the two markets. Determine the expected return and standard deviation risk of the resulting international portfolio.
7. Suppose you are interested in investing in the stock markets of 7 countries–i.e., Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Switzerland, the United Kingdom, and the United States–the same 7 countries that appear in Exhibit 11.9. Specifically, you would like to solve for the optimal (tangency) portfolio comprising the above 7 stock markets. In solving the optimal portfolio, use the input data (i.e. correlation coefficients, means, and standard deviations) provided in Exhibit 11.4. The risk-free interest rate is assumed to be 0.5% per month and you can take a short position in any stock market. What are the optimal weights for each of the 7 stock markets? This problem can be solved using MPTSolver.xls spreadsheet.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.