Due in 5 hours strictly-300 words
Post your responses to the Discussion based on the course requirements.
A 58-year-old man needs to have his blood tested on a regular basis so his physician can monitor the effects of the anticoagulant (blood thinner) medication he is currently taking. He usually has his blood drawn at his local lab in San Francisco, California. While traveling on business in Portland, Oregon, he is able to have his blood drawn on the specified day at another Labcorp location. Labcorp operates an extensive network of 1,700 laboratories across the United States, so lab results can be communicated to the patient’s physician from any location.
Geisinger Health System serves an area with 2.6 million people in northeastern and central Pennsylvania. As an integrated health system, it provides coordinated care to meet the wide-ranging needs of patients. The advanced use of information technology has been critical for facilitating communication, reducing duplication of services, and improving the patient experience along the care continuum. Consisting of numerous clinical facilities and a health insurance company, Geisinger Health System offers an innovative approach to care delivery that it hopes will become a national model.
Integration is an organizing principle for care delivery intended to promote better health outcomes and greater clinical and financial accountability. Labcorp’s horizontal integration is a growth strategy that reduces competition from other companies. Geisinger’s vertical integration is a diversification strategy that links a continuum of services to increase the comprehensiveness of care.
In Module 3, you examined the varied services a patient may need and researched health care organizations that provide those services in your geographic area. In this Discussion, you will examine how integration affects the delivery of care in your community.
To prepare for this Discussion, review the information related to horizontal and vertical integration in the Learning Resources, including the information in the Shi and Singh (2015) textbook and the journal articles.
Next, research integrated health systems in your geographic area. If you find that one or more of the settings you identified for your Module 3 Assignment are part of an integrated system, you may further research the setting(s) for this Discussion.
Select one vertically integrated health system and one horizontally integrated health system in your geographic area on which to focus for this Discussion.
Continue researching these two health systems, noting important information about each health system, including its size, settings/locations, and the services it provides. Investigate how the integration of each system has affected, or is expected to affect, issues related to cost, quality, and access to health care services in your area. Consider implications of integration for the management of the organization, as well as the patient/consumer experience.
If you are an international student, you may examine a specific geographic area in the United States or research two integrated health systems identified in the Learning Resources that are not the same ones you address in your Assignment.
Note: In the Assignment for this module, you are required to select and analyze one vertically integrated health system and one horizontally integrated health system from a provided list. Do not select the same health systems for this Discussion.
In 250-300 words, post a substantive and cohesive response to the following:
· Analyze one vertically integrated health system in your area and share details about its size, settings/locations, and the services it provides.
· Analyze one horizontally integrated health system in your area and share details about its size, settings/locations, and the services it provides.
· Assess the impact of integration on issues related to cost and access to care, including implications for the management of the organization and the patient/consumer experience.
Reminder: Use and cite sources to support your posting and responses in the Discussion.
· Shi, L., & Singh, D. (2015). Delivering health care in America: A systems approach (6th ed.). Burlington, MA: Jones & Bartlett.
o Chapter 9, “Managed Care and Integrated Organizations” (pp. 361–368)
· Cohen, A., Klein, S., & McCarthy, D. (2014). Hill Physicians Medical Group: A market-driven approach to accountable care for commercially insured patients. Retrieved fromhttp://www.commonwealthfund.org/~/media/files/publications/case-study/2014/oct/1770_cohen_hill_physicians_aco_case_study.pdf
· Cutler, D. M., & Morton, F. S. (2013). Special communication: Hospitals, market share, and consolidation. JAMA, 310(18), 1964–1970.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Sanford, K. D. (2013). Integration requires new roles and responsibilities. Healthcare Financial Management, 67(3), 56–60.
Retrieved from the Walden Library databases.
· Summer, L. (2014). Research insights: Integration, concentration, and competition in the provider marketplace. Retrieved fromhttp://www.academyhealth.org/files/publications/AH_R_Integration%20FINAL2.pdf
Use the following resources to select integrated health systems on which to focus for your Assignment. You may also use this list to develop background information as you research health systems in your area for the Discussion.
· Rodak, S. (2013). 100 integrated health systems to know. Retrieved fromhttp://www.beckershospitalreview.com/lists/100-integrated-health-systems-to-know.html
Vertically Integrated Health Systems
· Cleveland Clinic. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://my.clevelandclinic.org
· Kaiser Permanente. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://kp.kaiserpermanente.org/
· Mayo Clinic. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://www.mayoclinic.org
· MedStar Health. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from https://www.medstarhealth.org/
· Memorial Hermann Healthcare System Houston. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, fromhttp://www.memorialhermann.org
Horizontally Integrated Health Systems
· Apria. (n.d). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from www.apria.com
· DaVita. (n.d). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from www.davita.com
· Labcorp. (2014). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from https://www.labcorp.com/
· Quest Diagnostics. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://www.questdiagnostics.com/
· Sunrise Senior Living. (n.d.). Retrieved March 27, 2015, from http://www.sunriseseniorliving.com/
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.