. In the exposition of a short story, __________. (Points : 3)
the action reaches its highest point
the characters and setting are introduced
the events that set the plot in motion occur
the story’s main conflict is resolved
2. The function of a short story’s exposition is to __________. (Points : 3)
present the setting and characters
carry the action to the turning point
begin the action of the plot
resolve the plot’s conflict
3. In a story, the point of highest action or the turning point is known as the ________ . (Points : 3)
4. When a writer wants to capture the way real people sound when they talk, that writer will write dialogue in __________. (Points : 3)
5. Readers can more readily identify with a story’s narrator if the writer uses __________. (Points : 3)
third-person omniscient point of view
third-person limited point of view
second-person point of view
first-person point of view
6. In “Thank You, M’am,” the blue suede shoes are symbols of __________. (Points : 3)
what Mrs. Jones teaches Roger
what Roger wants but cannot have
memories of Mrs. Jones’s youth
7. Which is not a lesson that Mrs. Jones tries to teach Roger during the encounter? (Points : 3)
Do not disrespect others.
Do not talk to strangers.
Do take responsibility for your choices.
Do take pride in yourself.
8. Of what is the narrator’s family in “The Circuit” a good example? (Points : 3)
the importance of cooperation
the necessity of wealth
the advantages of traveling
the value of education
9. At the beginning of “The Bracelet,” Ruri tells the reader that after her house has been packed up it feels like “a gift box after the nice thing inside was gone; just a lot of nothingness.” The author uses this image to communicate the story’s __________. (Points : 3)
10. Which event marks the climax of “The Circuit”? (Points : 3)
The narrator, his brother, and their father labor together in the field.
The narrator rides the bus anxiously to school.
The family cooperates together to load their belongings into the car.
The narrator gets a chance to take trumpet lessons from his teacher.
11. In what important way are facts and historical fiction used differently in a story? (Points : 3)
Historical fiction includes imaginative details that add dramatic interest, but facts can be proved.
Historical fiction is usually written about famous people, but facts are not about people.
Historical fiction is always based on historical events, but facts are not part of history.
Historical fiction usually includes details about the weather, but facts are usually about science.
12. The author of “Enrico Fermi: The ‘Italian Navigator’” writes that Fermi was like a ship captain. What does the author mean by this comparison? (Points : 3)
Fermi felt himself “lost at sea” in his project.
Fermi traveled across hazardous territory, taking readings of his progress.
Fermi led a crew of uncooperative assistants.
Fermi conducted his experiments on board a ship.
13. What did Enrico Fermi and Marie Curie have in common? (Points : 3)
Both committed their lives to their research.
Both lived in France during their scientific careers.
Both worried constantly about what others thought of their work.
Both were married to and collaborated with a scientist.
14. What important lesson does Ruri learn from her mother in “The Bracelet”? (Points : 3)
to hang on to the things that remind her of home
to tend the garden diligently
to beware of all governments
to treasure memories rather than material goods
15. What happens during the falling action of “The Circuit”? (Points : 3)
The narrator rides the bus to school feeling quite nervous.
The narrator returns home, excited, only to find that his family is moving again.
The narrator meets with his teacher and has the opportunity to learn to play the trumpet.
The narrator and his brother work hard in the fields to help support their family.
16. During their internment, Ruri’s mother acts __________. (Points : 3)
proud and strong
cleverly and boldly
frightened and pitiful
cheerfully and with high spirits
17. While they are interned, Ruri’s mother behaves with __________. (Points : 3)
terror and self-pity
good humor and liveliness
intelligence and resourcefulness
strength and self-respect
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.