IHP 525 Module Three Problem Set
1. What is the probability of being born on:
a) February 28?
b) February 29?
c) February 28 or February 29?
2. A patient newly diagnosed with a serious ailment is told he has a 60% probability of surviving 5 or more years. Let us assume this statement is accurate. Explain the meaning of this statement to someone with no statistical background in terms he or she will understand.
3. A lottery offers a grand prize of $10 million. The probability of winning this grand prize is 1 in 55 million (about 1.8×10-8). There are no other prizes, so the probability of winning nothing = 1 – (1.8×10-8) = 0.999999982. The probability model is:
$10 x 106
P(X = xi)
1.8 x 10-8
a) What is the expected value of a lottery ticket?
b) Fifty-five million lottery tickets will be sold. How much does the proprietor of the lottery need to charge per ticket to make a profit?
4. Suppose a population has 26 members identified with the letters A through Z.
a) You select one individual at random from this population. What is the probability of selecting individual A?
b) Assume person A gets selected on an initial draw, you replace person A into the sampling frame, and then take a second random draw. What is the probability of drawing person A on the second draw?
c) Assume person A gets selected on the initial draw and you sample again without replacement. What is the probability of drawing person A on the second draw?
5. Let A represent cat ownership and B represent dog ownership. Suppose 35% of households in a population own cats, 30% own dogs, and 15% own both a cat and a dog. Suppose you know that a household owns a cat. What is the probability that it also owns a dog?
6. What is the complement of an event?
7. Accidents occur along a 5-mile stretch of highway at a uniform rate. The following “curve” depicts the probability density function for accidents along this stretch:
a) What is the probability that an accident occurred in the first mile along this stretch of highway?
b) What is the probability that an accident did not occur in the first mile?
c) What is the probability that an accident occurred between miles 2.5 and 4?
8. Suppose there were 4,065,014 births in a given year. Of those births, 2,081,287 were boys and 1,983,727 were girls.
a) If we randomly select two women from the population who then become pregnant, what is the probability both children will be boys?
b) If we randomly select two women from the population who then become pregnant, what is the probability that the first woman’s child will be a boy and the second woman’s child will be a boy?
c) If we randomly select two women from the population who then become pregnant, what is the probability that both children will be boys given that at least one child is a boy?
9. Explain the difference between mutually exclusive and independent events.
10. Suppose a screening test has a sensitivity of 0.80 and a false-positive rate of 0.02. The test is used on a population that has a disease prevalence of 0.007. Find the probability of having the disease given a positive test result.
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.