1) What geographical conditions contributed to the rise of Mesopotamia?
A) convenient seaports
B) rich mineral resources
C) fertile farmlands
D) extensive forests
2) Mesopotamia was in present-day
3) Which name means “between the rivers”?
4) Which of the following accurately describes the Epic of Gilgamesh?
A) It was an Egyptian poem that paid homage to the Nile.
B) It was a Hebrew creation story.
C) It was an Akkadian religious hymn.
D) It was an epic poem about Osiris and Seth.
5) Which of the following statements does NOT characterize the religious beliefs of the people of Mesopotamia?
B) the belief that humans had to serve the gods in this life.
C) optimism about an afterlife that would be much better than their current lives.
D) a belief that the gods would punish them if they were displeased.
6) The Sumerians created all of the following EXCEPT
B) the first writing system.
C) a number system based on sixty.
D) a phonetic alphabet.
7) Which of these Sumerian innovations did NOT serve to support the ruling powers?
A) the wheel
D) the calendar
8) Ziggurats were used for all of the following EXCEPT
A) religious ceremonies.
B) lookouts for enemy attacks.
C) government functions.
9) Which of the following was the first system of writing?
B) the Phoenician alphabet
10) What was the relationship between the Babylonians and the Sumerians?
A) The Babylonians were invaders who learnt from the Sumerians.
B) The Babylonians and Sumerians inhabited the same lands, taken from the Assyrians.
C) The Sumerians conquered the Babylonians.
D) The Babylonians and Sumerians were two regional powers conquered by the Hittites.
11) Who was the most prominent leader of the Akkadians?
C) Nebuchadnezzar II
D) Cyrus the Great
12) The Amorites could also be called
13) Which of the following does NOT apply to the Code of Hammurabi?
A) Penalties for crimes were based on the principle of retribution.
B) Punishments differed according to social status.
C) Property rights were valued very highly.
D) Women had no rights.
14) The ideology that best explains Hammurabi’s position with respect to commercial transactions was
A) let the buyer beware.
B) an eye for an eye.
C) property rights have little significance.
D) sellers must guarantee all work.
15) Which of these was NOT introduced to West Asia by the Indo-Europeans?
A) domesticated horses
B) new languages
D) Hittite rule
16) Which of the following locations was part of the Hittite, Assyrian, and Chaldean empires?
17) In most cultures today, it is customary for the bride’s family to pay for the wedding. This custom has roots in the ancient practice of
A) the bride’s family choosing the groom.
B) the groom’s family arranging the marriage.
C) the bride’s family supplying the dowry.
D) the bride’s family walking her down the aisle.
18) In addition to his law code, Hammurabi is also known for
A) adopting monotheism.
B) conquering most of Africa.
C) making advancements in metalwork.
D) instigating building projects.
19) Which of the following developments led to huge changes in warfare and travel?
A) the domestication of horses
B) the development of iron ore
C) the development of bridges
D) the potter’s wheel
20) Which of the following accurately describes the Hittite kingdom?
A) matriarchal and matrilineal
B) hierarchical and patriarchal
D) matriarchal and hierarchical
21) Which of the following civilizations is credited with building the Hanging Gardens of
22) Where is the Ishtar gate?
23) Which of the following civilizations controlled their conquered enemies by torture and terrorization?
24) The city of Nineveh was part of which ancient civilization?
25) Which empire conquered and brought an end to the Chaldean Empire?
26) Which of these divided Africa into two great regions?
A) the Congo River
B) the Nile River
C) the Sahara
D) the Niger River
27) Which of these was NOT common to Egypt and Mesopotamia?
A) a polytheistic religion
B) the central role of great rivers
C) connections to neighboring cultures
D) early, stable unification under one state
28) How did Egyptian territory change during the New Kingdom?
A) Egypt lost Upper Egypt, but retained control of Lower Egypt.
B) Egypt lost Syria and Palestine.
C) Egypt gained land along the eastern Mediterranean Sea.
D) Egypt gained the communities of Giza and Memphis.
29) After 5000 B.C.E., the climate changed in Africa. What happened?
A) Monsoons began to flood the continent.
B) Savannah began to overtake desert land.
C) Rainfall became scarce, so the climate was drier.
D) The Nile began flooding erratically, thus wiping out the Egyptian kingdom.
30) Which of the following statements best accounts for the failure of Akhenaton’s reign?
A) The Egyptian people viewed his reign as illegitimate because he was not the direct descendent of Amenhotep III.
B) He invested the majority of the country’s resources on expansionist policies and neglected domestic priorities.
C) He was obsessed with his religion to the neglect of other affairs, as he tried desperately to reform Egypt into a monotheistic society.
D) He was a child king who was murdered before reaching adulthood.
31) Who united upper and lower Egypt?
A) Thutmosis III
C) Amenhotep III
D) Amenhotep IV
32) Which ancient Egyptian kingdom was known for building pyramids?
A) Old Kingdom
B) Middle Kingdom
C) New Kingdom
D) Second Intermediate Period
33) The Great Pyramid was built for
A) Thutmosis III.
34) Which Egyptian kingdom would best be described as imperialistic?
A) Early Dynastic Period
B) Old Kingdom
C) Middle Kingdom
D) New Kingdom
35) What caused the downfall of the Middle Kingdom?
A) The Nile flooded unexpectedly.
B) Egypt was plagued by droughts.
C) The Hyksos invaded and conquered.
D) The Egyptian economy suffered due to pyramid construction.
36) In what way was Hatshepsut unusual as an Egyptian ruler?
A) in being a female ruler of Egypt
B) in ruling over all of Egypt
C) in worshipping Osiris
D) in inheriting rule from her father
37) Which Egyptian pharaoh became known as Akhenaton?
A) Thutmosis III
C) Amenhotep III
D) Amenhotep IV
38) Nefertiti was
A) an Egyptian goddess.
B) King Tut’s wife.
C) a Mesopotamian goddess associated with fertility.
D) Akhenaton’s wife.
39) Which name means “gold” or “black”?
40) Which of these connected Egypt with the African interior?
D) the Hittites
41) Which of these had the greatest cultural impact on Nubia?
C) the Hyksos
D) the Amorites
42) Which people formed Kush?
43) Carthage was a colony founded on the North African coast by a seafaring people from West Asia known as the
44) Carthage was unlike other Phoenician colonies in what way?
A) It became independent power.
B) It was on the Mediterranean Sea.
C) It relied on trade.
D) Its society was largely urban.
45) What was the source of Phoenician influence?
A) military strength
B) a large population
C) extensive territory
D) a large trading network
46) Which people laid the foundations for the phonetic alphabets used throughout the West?
47) Where was the Phoenician homeland?
A) the Eastern Mediterranean
D) the Western Mediterranean
48) The Hebrews laid the foundation for all of the religions EXCEPT
49) Which Hebrew king was able to unite the Israelites but was unable to decisively defeat the Philistines?
50) Which of the following people were NOT polytheistic?
51) Which Hebrew man was called “Israel”?
52) Which of these was common to the cultural traditions of Sumeria and Israel?
A) flood narratives
D) a religious covenant
53) Which Hebrew king was known for elaborate building projects?
54) Which of the following accomplishments did NOT occur during the reign of King David?
A) Jerusalem was established as the capital city.
B) The Philistines were defeated.
C) A standing army was created.
D) The temple was built.
55) Which people allowed the Hebrews to return to Jerusalem and rebuild their temple following their Babylonian exile?
Why Work with Us
Top Quality and Well-Researched Papers
We always make sure that writers follow all your instructions precisely. You can choose your academic level: high school, college/university or professional, and we will assign a writer who has a respective degree.
Professional and Experienced Academic Writers
We have a team of professional writers with experience in academic and business writing. Many are native speakers and able to perform any task for which you need help.
Free Unlimited Revisions
If you think we missed something, send your order for a free revision. You have 10 days to submit the order for review after you have received the final document. You can do this yourself after logging into your personal account or by contacting our support.
Prompt Delivery and 100% Money-Back-Guarantee
All papers are always delivered on time. In case we need more time to master your paper, we may contact you regarding the deadline extension. In case you cannot provide us with more time, a 100% refund is guaranteed.
Original & Confidential
We use several writing tools checks to ensure that all documents you receive are free from plagiarism. Our editors carefully review all quotations in the text. We also promise maximum confidentiality in all of our services.
24/7 Customer Support
Our support agents are available 24 hours a day 7 days a week and committed to providing you with the best customer experience. Get in touch whenever you need any assistance.
Try it now!
How it works?
Follow these simple steps to get your paper done
Place your order
Fill in the order form and provide all details of your assignment.
Proceed with the payment
Choose the payment system that suits you most.
Receive the final file
Once your paper is ready, we will email it to you.
No need to work on your paper at night. Sleep tight, we will cover your back. We offer all kinds of writing services.
No matter what kind of academic paper you need and how urgent you need it, you are welcome to choose your academic level and the type of your paper at an affordable price. We take care of all your paper needs and give a 24/7 customer care support system.
Admission Essays & Business Writing Help
An admission essay is an essay or other written statement by a candidate, often a potential student enrolling in a college, university, or graduate school. You can be rest assurred that through our service we will write the best admission essay for you.
Our academic writers and editors make the necessary changes to your paper so that it is polished. We also format your document by correctly quoting the sources and creating reference lists in the formats APA, Harvard, MLA, Chicago / Turabian.
If you think your paper could be improved, you can request a review. In this case, your paper will be checked by the writer or assigned to an editor. You can use this option as many times as you see fit. This is free because we want you to be completely satisfied with the service offered.